Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Right Decision for America

Faithful readers of this blog may recall that on October 11, 2005, The Shadow pronounced that U.S. President George W. Bush made one of the dumbest appointments he ever could have made. He appointed Harriet Miers, current White House counsel, to replace Sandra Day O'Connor on the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Shadow had reservations at that time about the qualifications of Ms. Miers to serve on this court. He also urged Ms. Miers, in the best interests of the country, to withdraw her nomination.

The Shadow is pleased to announce that earlier today, Ms. Miers took The Shadow's advice -- although he certainly cannot take all the credit for it. Harriet Miers, in a letter to the president, withdrew her nomination for the high court. At this point, The Shadow really does not care for her reasoning behind the withdrawal, but, in her case, it was the correct decision.

President Bush has promised to name another nominee shortly. Let's hope that he gets it right this time!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shadow:

You are much too modest when it comes to your impact on my recent Supreme Court nomination. Although I initially felt quite good about my chances for confirmation, once I read your advice, I began to wonder "am I doing the right thing for my country?"

Last night I reread your advice and realized, the Shadow does indeed know. I had to do the right thing. And so I called Dubya (I've been calling him that for years) and asked if would be OK for me to just go back to being a plain old White House counsel? At first, he asked me to reconsider, but when I had him read the Shadow's advice, he said "dadgummit, if the Shadow ain't right!"

So you see, Shadow, you made all the difference and now I'm doing what is best for my country. Thank you so much.

your friend,
Harriet

3:48 PM  
Blogger The Shadow said...

Keep in mind that The Shadow does know the evil that lurks in the hearts of men. And there was an evil there in your nomination.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really think there was evil behind my nomination? The President seemed so sincere when he first asked me. I just can't believe he would have been pulling one over on me.

Harriet

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Shadow:

Well, it sure seems you were right about my nomination of Miss Miers and I reckon I should be man enough to admit it--you was right the whole dang time.

Now I got me some more folks that I'm thinking could be real fine Supreme Court kinda justices, but I was wondering, would you take a gander at my list and let me know jes' what you think of these here names?

An' don't worry bout Miss Miers here, I'm gonna make sure she has one of them real cushy type guverment jobs that pays real good and has a nice fat pension, too. Jus' cause she struck out on the justice job, don't mean she ain't my friend no more.

I'll be sending that list to you real soon now.

Thanks
Your President and friend
Dubya Bush

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home