Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Shadow Views San Francisco Destinations

On January 30th, The Shadow made a visit to 2223 Restaurant in the San Francisco's Upper Market district to view a solo show from artist Marius Starkey entitled "San Francisco Destinations".

Artist Marius Starkey with one of his works at the reception

Marius' work has been featured on this blog several times in several groups shows, so his work should be familiar to most of you. His vision statement (taken from his website) is as follows:
My commitment is to produce evocative images that reflect the culture and physical environment that surrounds me. My search includes symbolism, religion and philosophy. My colors become symbols for emotional states: fear, hate, joy, love, excitement, depending on what experiences and beliefs the viewer brings to the paintings. I show these emotions with color and composition which I hope are compelling to the viewer and allow different perceptions to develop slowly. My aesthetic concern is to show that life is more than daily consciousness. I use mystery and ritual in my paintings: they are conceived and produced as direct response to my environment. For this reason my work is time-and-location specific.


Two of Marius' works at the exhibit

Marius' work at this reception is very colorful and bright and works very well with the lighting in the restaurant (these pictures really do not do the works justice). The Shadow would advise you to visit 2223 Restaurant, take advantage of their great food, and admire Marius' work in person.

Art patron at the reception with one of Marius' works in the background

This exhibit will be shown at 2223 Restaurant, 2223 Market Street in San Francisco, through March 19, 2008. Viewing hours are Monday - Thursday 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (brunch) and 5:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. (dinner) The restaurant's website can be found here.


More scenes from the reception

More pictures from the reception can be seen here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home